Friday, July 11, 2008

Motherhood Mayhem

This picture describes what I have felt like much of this week. I will give you a small sample from experience this morning: I was sitting on my bed nursing Kate when I hear Carson rummaging in the pantry downstairs (he is our expert treat-finder/ sugar-addict). So I set Kate down on the bed and go downstairs to help Carson find a "healthy" snack, cuz I'm sure whatever he is finding is not in that category. I find him climbing on a barstool in the pantry, reaching the ding-dongs off the top shelf. However, what really gets me is the mess I find on the table and all over the floor. Apparently, Jake had trouble getting his Go-gurt out of its tube in the frozen state and there are dollops of it all over the kitchen table and floor. (I should insert picture here, but just don't think about a camera at those moments). So after pulling Carson out of the pantry, I am down on my hands and knees cleaning the kitchen floor and I hear Kate scream - the newborn "something's hurting me/very wrong" cry. I bolt upstairs to find Jake pulling her to the edge of the bed so that her head is about to go over. I send him to his bed for time-out and while I am comforting Kate, Carson walks upstairs with a bag of nectarines and a knife, which is poking out of the bag straight at his chest! (Yes, I do feed the kid actual meals 3+ times a day). This all happened in a less than 5 minute interval.
At this point I feel it is time for TV to intervene so I can:
1. fix Carson some real food before he causes himself bodily injury.
2. finish cleaning up the yogurt decorating my kitchen.
3. finish feeding Kate
4. Go talk to Jake in timeout
5. not go crazy!!
I got that all taken care of (moms are the best multi-taskers, you know) and the monsters taking a nap I decided to catch up on a friend's blog. She has a posting that takes me to this woman's blog: adailyscoop.blogspot.com. This woman lost her 14 month old in a drowning accident last month. Suddenly my perspective is shifted 360 degrees and I realize how glad I am for all the excitement I've had this morning.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

GREAT POST!! It is comforting to know that we are not alone out there in the world of motherhood and craziness and also great to be reminded of how fragile this craziness is and how thankful I am for it! luv ya girl!! :)