Monday, September 8, 2008

Seattle Trip - Friday: Hike to the Ocean, I mean "the Sound"

This was a definite highlight of the trip. No waterfalls, but just gorgeous Washington forest following a creek all the way to the beach. We were lucky enough to go on the first day the trail had been open since a flood had washed it out in December.
I don't think this picture does this justice. The girth of this tree trunk was enormous and Cameron climbed up to see that the inside was hollow!
This is the rocky beach we played at most of the day. The kids had such fun letting the boats and toys float down the stream out to the lapping waves.
We had to walk through a tunnel to get to the beach - for the train tracks that ran along the coast. And they were well used by trains, at least while we were there that day. The kids thought it was fun to see the trains go by, but even better to stand in the tunnel as they cruised by on top.
Here is the park at the entrance to the trail where the kids liked playing on this web. Hmmm...sure wish I remembered the name of it!

2 comments:

Camille Powell said...

We should have stayed one more day!!! Looks like it was so beautiful! We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney, it's Carolee. It looks like you had such a fun trip! I didn't know you'd gone. I'm a bit out of the loop, though. Kate is so cute!!